Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ben's Cabin in da Moonlight part II

Following my afternoon run and shower on Saturday I got back into vacation mode! On the stove was a GINORMOUS pot of chili cooking on one burner and a perfectly blended spiked cider on the other. What better way to warm up than with a couple glasses of warm cidery booze! The chili still had a few more hours of simmering left so I snacked on some fruit and granola bars for my post run dish.
I'm the Bald Bearded one on the right

Chili Dinner

Our footprints onto the lake

Ben and I

Random new beer we discovered on a beer run!

Obie likes to dance

Someone fell down haha

Bloody Mary anyone?
We had every intention of doing some ice fishing but were lacking in a few key supplies apparently so that never happened. Instead we spent the rest of the afternoon watching classic movies like Dumb and Dumber, and Canadian Bacon. Okay so maybe I'm using the term classic very loosely but hey they were great. After a few games of Apples to Apples and a couple more drinking games the long awaited chili was ready to be served and let me tell you it was worth the wait! My friend Ben is one hella good cook and I'm pretty sure most of the time he just throws shit together. I managed to eat myself into pain three times throughout the rest of the night by devouring copious amounts of chili with a healthy dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheddar. That's right it was that good!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

I'd also like to point out that I wasn't the only one who did this. During dinner and the subsequent trips to the chili pot we watched a couple bits of the Red Green Show, which if you don't know what that is then you are so missing out of some good ole Canadian humor. After learning new uses for duct tape we watched one of the greatest movies you could watch while in a cabin in the winter in Michigan while drinking beer....That's right the one and only Escanaba in Da Moonlight! Written by and starring Michigan native Jeff Daniels (who was also in our other feature film of the day Dumb and Dumber) this movie is a funny slightly exaggerated tale of a family of Yooper deer hunters on opening day. Between the Canadian accents in Red Green, and Canadian Bacon, plenty of beer and now the exaggerated accents in Escanaba it was no time at all before we were all rockin yooper/Canadian accents eh! We finished the night off with more outdoor festivities on the lake which was basically just running around throwing snow at each other and playing with the dogs.
It was a great weekend and when I got back home Sunday I knocked out 8 miles with no real problems. I had some slight soreness still in my ankle but today I didn't notice it so hopefully that's that. I took yesterday off from running and I think that made all the difference. This morning my indoor speed work went off without a hitch. Much better than last weeks debacle! I'm glad to not have to run again til Thursday seeing as how we are currently going through blizzard by every definition of the word! If you notice on the left side under the upcoming races heading you'll notice I added the Chicago Marathon!
That's right I'm all registered and looking forward to knockin out 26.2 in the Windy City! It also looks like our Ragnar Relay team is almost all set so I'm pretty stoked about that bit of good news as well! The race calendar is beginning to fill up nicely! I'd like to find a half marathon at some point between Ragnar and Chicago so I'll have to start looking into that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Red - Green! I frigging love that show!!! Spike likes your new background with the Grand Haven lighthouse! So exciting about Chicago! I will be there to cheer/spectate everyone on! Congrats on almost pulling together the Ragnar team, I'm almost talked into running that one myself! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually the lighthouse in South Haven. I've got to figure out a way to get it so it's not half blocked.

    ReplyDelete