Wednesday, August 19, 2009

59 Days and Counting

In just under sixty days I will have completed my first marathon. Thats the first goal anyway, to follow through with my training and complete what I hope is the first of many to come.

I started running again consistently seven weeks ago, and realized how much I missed in my years off. I ran in high school on the cross country and track team. When I got out of school I got out of running. Here and there I would run a couple miles feeling motivated shortly but never kept up with it. So long story short, five and a half years later I'm once again caught up in the rush of chasing down finish lines, and shooting for PR's. I have started planning my Saturdays around my long runs and putting thought into what I eat not just swinging through the drive thru on the way home.

So here I am looking at my schedule for the rest of the week and when last year that schedule would have been planned around the local bar drink specials, today it's planned around hill workouts, LSD runs, recovery days and so on. I feel a lot better today than a year ago. No I didn't put on a ton of weight in my running hiatus, the most I've weighed in my 24 years is 155 pounds and at 6'1 I'm sure most would agree I'm light to say the least. But I did spend a minimum five days a week in a bar with a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I'm proud to say I'm going on seven months without a smoke, and vaguely remember the last time I was drunk.

Holy cow I'm rambling, anyway today was a rest day and tomorrow is an easy 4 miles. Well If anyone reads this I hope you will get something out of it, be it motivation or maybe just a laugh here and there. I like to leave with something cheesey like happy trails.... yeah that sounds good.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to running and welcome to the running/blogging community! Thanks for stopping by my digs today and for your words of kindness. What marathon are you running? What part of Michigan are you from? I'm originally from Jackson... I'm heading back that way after the Chicago Marathon in October. Def going to add you to my reader so I can keep track of your training... Stay focused and keep up the training! WELCOME BACK TO RUNNING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete